Friday, November 19, 2010

My First Experience with Project Managers

When I joined my first job in a company as a fresher, I was always in awe of my project manager. He was a man young of years but old of wisdom. He was someone, who commanded respect by virtue of his way of handling people and things at work. He seemed the perfect gentleman to me. Always a smile playing on his lips, he was soft spoken, process oriented and also an expert in the domain. He used to get things done and received many accolades for them. Since we were working in a production support and maintenance environment for a credit card application, the work pressure was often too high. We worked together for some about 6 months in which I learnt many a things from him. What I liked in him was his ability of never loosing his cool under any situation. I considered him to be my first mentor and when I wanted to make a career move, I consulted him.

Then, my project manager changed and a new person replaced him. His style of work was totally different. He also used to get the work done, albeit in a different way. His philosophy in life was to work hard and play hard. He used to take the team out many times, of course on his own expenses and, the team loved it. Guys in the team also repaid him back by working hard. Of course we were all bachelors at that point of time and then it did not matter if you hit the sack at home or in the office.. That was the summer of 99'!


No comments: